Sunday, September 30, 2012

Spicy Chai



Chai is such a fun fall beverage that makes my heart beat fast! I found this recipe on Pintrest but then tweaked it to my liking. I really prefer iced drinks unless it's like 30 degrees or below (which doesn't happen very often in Oklahoma), but this recipe can be warmed in the microwave for per cup service. For a big party, it's nice to put it on the stove warm with milk and let people ladle out their warmed chai.

7 cups boiling water
10 black tea bags
3 tablespoons mulling spices
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1 vanilla bean pod spilt with seeds removed and added or 2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper (optional)
1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey

Bring water to a boil in a pot. Once it's boiling, turn off heat and add tea bags, spices and if using vanilla bean pod. Let steep 15 minutes. Strain the mixture and add brown sugar, honey and vanilla extract if using. Pour into a craft or pitcher and let cool. Store in fridge and mix with equal parts milk hot or cold. This recipe typically lasts me a week or so depending how much I indulge during the day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment